If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (562) 431-9400

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Be Careful- Surfside Fire Damage can Create Dangerous Breathing Conditions

4/6/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Be Careful- Surfside Fire Damage can Create Dangerous Breathing Conditions Always check with professionals to make sure it is safe to go back into your home after a house fire.

Learn About The Health Effects Fire Damage in Surfside Can Cause


Staying safe in the aftermath of fire damage in Surfside should be one of your top concerns, as even small fires can sometimes create hazardous conditions for the unprepared. While SERVPRO technicians have the safety tools and training to avoid harm from a fire, you should be wary of some of the veiled threats in your home. In particular, face masks are essential to keep your lungs and throat clear of harmful particles and substances, as they can help to filter out many dangerous contaminants. Otherwise, these airborne substances could cause adverse health effects now or down the road.

Smoke and Ash

Smoke and ash can persist for long after the Surfside fire damage has run its course. These substances can have a varied and inconsistent makeup, but always hold the risk of causing serious health effects for both those affected by a respiratory condition and individuals who are otherwise in good health. SERVPRO uses thorough cleaning procedures and industrial fogging treatments to eliminate smoke particles from the area, but these materials can still cause harm before our work is complete.

Toxic Fumes

Some fires may burn through materials or chemicals that create toxic fumes and gases after being set alight. While these gases may escape through doors and windows in your home, some may also be trapped inside the home, presenting a serious risk to anyone passing through. Many of these chemicals cannot be stopped with a simple face mask, so you should always be wary of unusual smells and sensations after a fire.

Sawdust, Asbestos, and Other Particles

A fire can alter a home in unpredictable ways, sometimes allowing building materials to become airborne and find their way into your respiratory system. Sawdust, glass, and other fragmented building materials can be a common risk, but some older homes may even contain asbestos, an even more dangerous concern. We check and filter the air thoroughly to eliminate any of these threats, even microscopic ones.

Locally Owned Company with National Resources

SERVPRO of Seal Beach / Los Alamitos / Cypress is ready to respond to your call for help while keeping things safe and simple for your family. Call us 24/7 at (562) 431-9400.

For more on Surfside, click here

Other News

View Recent Posts